The UK’s leading independent plastic surgery organisation, the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (BAAPS), has recently released its annual audit and 2022 witnessed a noteworthy boom in cosmetic surgery demand.
According to the figures, procedures were up 102% overall last year. A post-Covid rise was expected, but demand was significantly higher than it was pre-pandemic.
This uptick in demand is something we’ve witnessed at the Karidis Clinic. “Unsurprisingly, the pandemic and associated lockdowns caused a significant build-up in cosmetic surgery demand,” comments leading London plastic surgeon Mr Alex Karidis. “We found that during lockdown patients were able to carefully research us and the procedures we offer. Choosing a highly experienced and skilled plastic surgeon should never be rushed.”
5 most popular cosmetic surgery procedures for women
Women still dominated when it comes to cosmetic surgery demand, accounting for 93% of all procedures in 2022.
- Breast augmentation with implants remains the most popular cosmetic surgery procedure and was up by 66% on the previous year’s figures. This procedure is popular with younger women that wish to enhance the size of their breasts, as well as with older women that have seen changes to the shape and size of their breasts because of weight fluctuations, pregnancy and breast feeding, and the ageing process.
- Breast reduction to reduce the volume, shape and weight of the breasts saw an even bigger increase by 120% and achieves significant patient satisfaction as heavy breasts can cause back, neck and shoulder complaints, bad posture and even breathing difficulties. Our surgeons often perform a breast reduction in combination with breast uplift surgery to achieve the optimal outcome.
- Abdominoplasty surgery, also known as the tummy tuck, was up by 130% in 2022. A tummy tuck can dramatically reduce the appearance of a protruding abdomen and lead to a flatter, firmer stomach. After childbirth, women can find it challenging to tone up their stomach area as the abdominal muscles are weakened and a tummy tuck is often the only solution. We can also offer mini tummy tucks which target your lower abdomen, instead of the whole stomach area.
- Liposuction is one of our most requested procedures and Mr Alex Karidis is a pioneer in liposuction techniques. Up by 134% in 2022, liposuction can target stubborn fat deposits on the abdomen, hips, flanks, inner and outer thighs, knees and chin and Mr Karidis often performs it in combination with other cosmetic surgery procedures.
- Blepharoplasty or eyelid surgery is up by 70%. At the Karidis Clinic, our surgeon Mr Mark Ho-Asjoe is highly skilled at performing blepharoplasty surgery, as well as other procedures aimed at enhancing the shape of the eyes, such as double eyelid surgery and epicanthoplasty, more commonly known as Asian eye surgery.
5 most popular cosmetic surgery procedures for men
Male cosmetic surgery demand rocketed by 121% in 2022.
- Rhinoplasty or nose reshaping surgery is one of our most popular cosmetic surgery procedures for men and was up by 45% on 2021’s figures. Choosing a surgeon that is highly experienced in male cosmetic surgery is essential to ensure the optimal aesthetic result.
- Male breast reduction saw the biggest growth in demand, up by 158%, as more and more men realise there is a solution to gynaecomastia. At the Karidis Clinic, it’s one of our most sought-after surgeries as Mr Alex Karidis is renowned as a gynaecomastia surgeon and has won the prestigious Hackett Memorial Prize awarded by the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (BAAPS) for his innovative stitching technique.
The other top performing male cosmetic surgery procedures are blepharoplasty, liposuction and otoplasty or ear reshaping surgery.
To find out more about the procedures we offer, call 0207 432 8727 to arrange a consultation with either Mr Alex Karidis or Mr Mark Ho-Asjoe.